Imagine you’re stranded on a desert island and you can only eat one food forever. What do you choose? You’ve been asked this before, right? My answer, always, always, without hesitation: TACOS. So yummy and versatile – to me, they are perfect.
On Tuesday this week I found myself, as one does, looking for a new taco recipe and I came upon this one from Pinch of Yum that looked so tasty – almost too perfect to put my own spin on. However, thanks to a quick mid-week trip to Trader Joe’s (best time to go BTW – shelves were stocked) I was able to whip these up in a snap and ohhh baby were they good.
I did not change a single thing about the original recipe’s lime dressing for the slaw (below) and you shouldn’t either, but I did tweak a few other things:
- Trader Joe’s sells this super crunchy shaved salad mix that’s absolute perfection for slaws of any and all kinds – this recipe is no exception. It’s called the Cruciferous Crunch Collection and it’s loaded with shaved Brussels sprouts, kale, broccoli, and green & red cabbage. It’s also one of my go-to salad greens. Bonus: the red cabbage adds a great pop of color.
- I changed up the shrimp seasoning – mostly because I recently discovered TJ’s Chile Lime seasoning blend and I’m obsessed. It adds the perfect amount of limey, salty heat to the shrimp.
- Lastly, I added roasted corn to the base along with the smashed avocado. You can typically find roasted corn in the freezer section of your grocery store, which makes life super easy. I used this one from…you know the answer… because it’s delicious and comes with Cotija cheese topping – YUM. We’re big fans of cowboy caviar in our house and I love the snap of the corn in these.
BOOM. So so good. I can’t wait for you to try them.
Shrimp Tacos with Roasted Corn & Shaved Brussels Sprout Slaw
Adapted from Pinch of Yum’s Spicy Shrimp Tacos with Garlic Cilantro Lime Slaw | Yield: 8 tacos or dinner for 2 with really yummy leftovers.
Pinch of Yum’s garlic cilantro lime sauce
- ¼ cup oil
- ¼ cup water
- ½ cup chopped green onions
- ½ cup cilantro leaves
- 2-3 cloves garlic (I only used 1)
- ½ teaspoon salt
- juice of 2 limes
- ½ cup sour cream
- 1 lb. raw shrimp, peeled, deveined, tails removed — I bought these and thawed them in some cold water for a few minutes while I made the lime sauce
- 1 10 oz. bag TJ’s Cruciferous Crunch Collection
- 8 corn tortillas — I recommend these
- 2 tbsp. olive oil
- 1 tsp. TJ’s Chile Lime Seasoning
- 1 tsp. smoked paprika
- 1 tsp. garlic powder
- 1 tsp. cumin
- 1 bag TJ’s Mexican Style Roasted Corn with Cotija Cheese
- 2 avocados
- Optional: extra cilantro and lime wedges for serving
If using frozen shrimp, add them to a bowl of cold water to thaw and set aside.
Add all sauce ingredients except the sour cream to a food processor and blend until combined. Add the sour cream, pulse some more, give it a taste for seasoning, and set aside. Top your slaw with as much dressing as you like – I had about 1/4 cup remaining – toss and set aside while you prep the rest of the tacos.
Add a tbsp olive oil to a sauce pan over medium low. Drop in the frozen corn and stir occasionally until it’s heated through. Note: I saved the Cotija cheese packet to use as a garnish for the tacos, but feel free to use it to top the corn once it’s heated through as the instructions suggest. Leave in the pan on low heat until you’re ready to serve.
Pat your shrimp dry with a paper towel and top with seasonings. Add the olive oil to a large skillet over medium heat. Once the pan is hot, add your shrimp and cook for 5 minutes or so until cooked through, flipping occasionally.
A-S-S-E-M-B-L-E! Grab your corn tortillas and top them with a bit of smashed avocado, a spoonful of corn, a few pieces of shrimp (I found 4 each worked perfectly), a heaping spoonful of that magical slaw, sprinkle with cilantro & Cotija cheese, and go to town ♥